The Running Event (TRE) in Orlando
An estimated 17.1 million Americans compete in road races; millions more run for exercise. In early December, The Running Event (TRE), the annual trade show and conference for the running business, was held at Orlando’s Orange County Convention Center.
This year, TRE attracted the second largest retail attendance in its 11-year-history. Run specialty stores, manufacturers, race directors and sports media convened for four days of educational seminars, networking, and buying.
TRE 2016 is organized by B2B publisher and trade show producer Formula4 Media, Great Neck, N.Y. Vendors, big and small, exhibit here in the hopes of brick and mortar stores picking up their products to sell to consumers. All the big brands are here including: Under Armour, Asics, Sketchers, Hoka One One, Newton, Clifbar, Nuun, you name a brand, they will be exhibiting at the expo. All of the major brands were introducing their 2017 spring line.
Under Amour started a new eyewear division and have some hot sun glasses launching this year, including:UA Octane, UA Igniter 2.0 and UA Big Shot. All come in different colors with different lens colors and are flexible. I particularly like the nose flex. They are all priced right at under $100. When I asked if they could have prescriptions, the folks there told me they “absolutely can.”
You also see small start ups here as well. Some interesting start ups I met included:
- the Iced Cap – This was one of the most unusual products I have seen in a while and it’s worth noting here. It’s a cap with a draw strong on the top. When you open the draw string, you put in ice cubes and then close the draw string. When you’re on the run, you put on the cap and you will stay cooler for a while. The inventor claims the cap will help you run 30 seconds a mile faster. Drip… Drip… Drip…. Bang!
- My Soxy Feet – a new socks company making all mismatched socks. The contents include 35% coolmax, 63% nylon and 2% lycra. They are comfortable, cushioned in the right place and moisture wicking to keep feet dry. Talk about fun with socks…
- Have the Drive – These guys were funny. They pulled me off the floor and lured me to their booth to tell me about their new product that is better than Road ID. First off, if you are in a bicycle accident, your Road ID will get smashed. They showed me an example. They went on to show me the difference between Road ID and HavetheDrive.com. Do you think they can wear more samples on their wrists? Good concept. The product can get wet but it’s really geared for riding and running.
- Sorbothane Performance Insoles — I found these to be extremely comfortable. There was cushion in both the toe and the heal and the one I tried had even a nice arch support. I was very impressed with these and have been wearing them in my recovery shoes, but you can wear them in your running shoes as well!
- Running Folk Studio – these guys are artists and paint custom pictures for either a loved one or many race directors use them as awards. Unique idea, huh? All in all, they are pretty cool looking and if I had one, I would hang it up… 🙂
Throughout the next couple of months, I’ll be talking about some of the key products I found at the show and will share my insights with you. Stay tuned… Oh and by the way, coming in January, I will have some giveaways for my loyal subscribers!